An addiction to sex is a very real and serious condition. When a person has a sexual addiction it can interfere with their psychological health and overall well-being, as well as that of their loved ones. Do you believe you have a sexual addiction? Are you concerned that a loved one is going down this path? There are many details to consider along the way and, as a trusted Roanoke CSAT therapist, we want you to know the ins and outs.
- Preoccupation with everything related to sex. Do you find yourself thinking about sex throughout the day, even when your mind should be occupied with something else? If so, you may be addicted.
- Engaging with more partners to satisfy your urge. Many people with a sexual addiction are unable to remain loyal to one partner, as they don’t often give them the attention they need to satisfy their craving.
- Inability to cut down on sexual activity. Do you know you have a problem? Do you realize that you need to cut down on your preoccupation with sex? If so, and you are still unable to make progress, it could be a symptom of addiction.
- Giving up other activities due to a preoccupation with sex. This could mean everything from a student who is struggling to keep up in school to somebody who stops playing sports because of their addiction.
- Spending a large amount of time on sexual related activities. This can include but is not limited to searching for partners, browsing pornographic websites, and reading pornographic magazines.